When you only have a small portion of money reserved for home renovation, you want to spend it so that you can make the most out of it. You find repairs in your house that are worth your money. Like you may think that the money spent on your kitchen or bathroom remodeling is worth it because it may add value to your house, and you do not need a glass countertop or whirlpool for it. But the money spent on these types of renovations is not as practical as updating your windows.
Moreover, replacing your windows not only adds value to your house but also increases efficiency. The windows offer monthly savings on utility bills. And besides adding value to your home, it also creates a focal point and enhances your curb's beauty.
Window replacements are valuable investments
The window replacements are a valuable investment as it adds value to your house and increases comfort for you. If you are looking for a remodeling project that provides maximum recoup, then window replacement is the one. You can recoup about 70 to 80 percent of the money you have spent on window replacement while selling your house. It means if you have paid $400 on window replacement, then it will increase $230 to $300 in your house value. To be more transparent, the money in replacing a new door can be recouped by 97% at the time of sales. While adding a sunroom, you can only recoup 52% of the money. There are very few improvement projects that will recoup 100% of the money at the time of sale. But the recoup value on window replacements depends upon the following things:
- The type of window or kind of window frame you choose will affect the price. Vinyl wood frames are cheaper than fiberglass and wood frames. The replacement and installation cost of a double-hung insulated vinyl window is $550 to $1000.
- These windows offer energy efficiency, which is comparable to fiberglass and wood frames.
- Although vinyl is much more durable than wood and less expensive.
- Wooden window frames and clad in aluminum, fiberglass, or vinyl are known for their attractiveness. But its cost lies between $750 to $1150.
What is Energy efficient windows ROI?
As mentioned above, the replacement of windows adds value to your house and decreases your monthly utility bill. An energy-efficient window reduces your home's energy bill, and this factor goes hand in hand with home valuation. Because buyers tend to buy homes with less energy bill, especially in the area with expensive Energy such as Northeast or California, they are two types of energy-efficient windows such as:
- Single pane windows: This type of window offers no insulation between the glass panes. They are also leaky and inefficient. According to the Department of Energy, if you install these types of windows in your house, you will lose at least 20% of your home's heating outside. It can be prevented if you install storm windows with single-pane windows.
- Double pane windows: These windows are also called double glazed or insulated windows. These windows have double glass in them, which slows down the draft and reduces the risk of heat loss. The majority of double glass windows have an insulation gas such as argon or krypton, which penetrates the wind before entering your house. These windows are always more expensive than single-pane windows as they cost 30% to 40% more. But these savings will not be enough to ultimately recoup the cost spent on buying double-pane windows as well as their installation. The installation price is a lot, especially if you are replacing the windows of your entire home.
- Energy-star certified windows: These windows are rated for the EPA and the Department of Energy's high energy performance. These windows will save at least $270 to $400 from your yearly electrical bills. When you switch from single-pane windows, the result in energy bill saving is evident. If you live mainly in a cold area or hot area, you will observe significant savings in your energy bills. However, these savings are not enough to recoup the money invested in this replacement. But the government provides incentives for energy-saving products. Make sure you review all the existing policies on incentives at DSIRE.
- Low emissivity coating: This type of window is suitable for a warmer climate. When you do not want the internal heat to escape the room, an argon gas-filled window is an excellent option. But when it comes to warmer climates, these windows are rendered useless. Low e-coating can be helpful to send the cold back into the room. This coating reduces solar gain by 70 percent. But this all comes at a price; these glasses are expensive. The prices have gone down since the beginning. Now you can buy an e-coating window from Home Depot for $400.
What is the installation cost of all types of windows?
When homeowners compare the prices of all types of windows, they all come to the same conclusion. Window replacement is expensive. You will have to pay around $1100 to install and purchase a single window for quality window replacement. For wooden window replacement, you will pay $71 to $110 per square foot of area. There is no bargain for vinyl, and you will have to pay around $67 to 87 dollars. But if your goal is to keep your house well insulated and save some money on energy bills, then replacing a few windows will not do you any good. You have to replace every single window of your house for this purpose. First, you will also have to plan this project from the beginning to the end of this project. If you do mind heat, moisture, cold, or snow in your house, it is advised to perform this spring project.
What are some other advantages of Energy efficient windows?
Yes, these windows are expensive, but the cost is not the only way to estimate their worth. They have many advantages, such as:
- These Energy efficient windows also create comfort for you.
- The Department of Energy has stated that replacing the single-pane window has a positive impact on the environment.
- These windows save the emission of carbon dioxide up to 6,520 pounds from cooling offset and heating. It is equal to 317 gallons of gasoline.
Replacing your outdated single-pane windows adds value to your house, saves Energy, and creates comfort. These reasons are enough for you to invest in energy-efficient windows.
How the type of window affects the cost of replacement of the window?
Two factors determine the cost of window replacement, such as:
Best for value: Three types of windows are best for the matter you buy it from.
- Double-hung windows are affordable types of windows that can be replaced for your old one. They are also the most common as they are found in most modern houses. The Double Hung window has two sashes that open vertically.
- Single-hung windows are less popular than double-hung windows because the stash is not operable. They are also cheaper, but they only have one store. These windows are hard to open and harder to clean.
- The last one on the list is casement windows. They are a little more expensive than both of the options mentioned above, but they keep the cold out better than double and single hung windows. These windows are perfect for you, especially if you live in a colder climate.
Aesthetics: If you are looking for aesthetic in your window, then here are only two types of window you can choose from:
- Picture windows are perfect if you are looking for aesthetics. These windows do not open, and they provide a non-disruptive view of the outside. If you are going for a simple yet modern look, then these windows are perfect for your bedroom or living room. However, you have to pay more for such windows, such as $400 to 800 dollars.
- You can also convert your existing window into a French door. It is an easy and affordable way to get more light and fresh air into your home, especially for your house's prospective buyers. Some people look for openness when they are buying a home. The cost of converting a window into a French door depends upon material and wiring. But you can expect to pay around $500 for conversion.
If your frames and sills are still in good condition, then there is good news for you because you don't have to pay much and can make a partial repair. A pocket replacement is made to fit into your already present frame and sill. But before you go ahead save your money, pocket replacements are not as Energy sufficient as a total replacement. There will be some gaps left in the frame and pocket window that will let out the cooling or heating in your house.